Monday 15 April 2013

Monthly Summary 1 (mid-March/mid-April 2013)

     With the moon now waxing, and the ten-day weather forecast predicting some form of rain every day for the foreseeable future, it is safe to say that dark sky observations have ended until after full moon on the 25th of this month.  I desperately tried to observe a few objects last night in Leo, but consistent clouds and haze made decent views impossible.  It is now time to summarize achievements during the past lunar cycle.  Despite many overcast nights, there were some remarkable successes since March 15th.  I got outside with the scope 8 times, and a few of those nights were near-perfect skies.  Many, however, ended early with incoming clouds.  Even worse was having clear skies predicted, staying up late only to find no such clear skies appearing.

     Despite some bad luck with weather a total of 19 new NGC objects were officially logged, many of them sketched as well as reported on with good old fashioned words.  One of the objects accounted for 4 of the new NGCs.  The Rosette Nebula in Monoceros has the following designations:  2237, 2238, 2239 and 2246.  The cluster itself, seen last lunar cycle, is 2244.  The nebula is vast and completely encircles the open cluster.  I could see nothing at all without a Skyglow filter, but with it and a low power eyepiece (28 mm) the emission nebula appeared as so much faint cloud interspersed among the rich stellar background.  So score 4 NGC right there!  I had hoped to also have a look at it with my Edmund 4 1/8" rft, but did not have the opportunity (more about this little scope soon).

     So besides the 4 galactic nebulae, I also viewed in detail this past month 5 open clusters, 9 galaxies and 1 planetary nebula.  One of those galaxies was M 65, and though I observed the entire Leo Triplet several times, M 65 was the only one so far to be officially entered into the logbook.  Sketches and verbal descriptions of M 66 and eg 3628 await better skies.  The Leo Triplet was easily the highlight of the observing month, with all three galaxies easily fitting into my 2" eyepiece at 43x, and just barely into my 1 1/4" 25 mm 60x eyepiece.  I now know that area so well that I can close my eyes in bed at night and still see it all clearly.  Two other worthy NGC galaxies lay within an easy star hop of the Triplet and were also seen on a few occasions, though not yet officially reported.  This is one of the great advantages of taking one's time when exploring the deep sky.  Once you have really explored and star hopped through an area over several nights, it will stay in your visual memory for a very long time.

     The Leo Triplet wasn't the only galaxy triplet observed this month.  NGCs 2872, 2873 and 2874, though much fainter and smaller, mark another worthwhile goal for 12" scopes or larger.  On my first attempt, only 72 and 74 were viewed, virtually touching.  72 is brighter than 74, though 74 extends further than its bright counterpart.  On a subsequent night I was able to see the third and very faint member, 2873, and it remains the faintest galaxy yet seen with the new scope.  And finally for Leo galaxies, the duo 2911 and tiny 2914 also make a worthy pair.  A nearby third member (2919) has yet to be found.  All three are an easy star hop from 6 Leo, a colourful double star.

     Monoceros is rich in clusters, though this month there were no real standouts.  oc 2353 was the best of the new ones, though I also liked 2252 (it looks like a Star Trek symbol to me) and 2364.  This last one is interesting because very little is said about it, and some photos show nothing at the site.  I definitely saw a cluster, however, and exactly where Uranometria puts it.  It is very small, and consists of 5 "brighter" stars in a curving line, with a field of very faint stars mixed in.  At lower powers the surrounding field is rich with stars, though the cluster itself is relatively barren.

     Of the non-NGC objects, my favorite was oc Collinder 106, a really huge affair that made for grand, informal sweeping.  Dense knots of stars can be found amidst its very bright and scattered field.  Two double stars also stood out this month.  8 Monoceros and 6 Leo are worth a stop if you appreciate doubles, and can easily be split in any modest telescope.  Other objects of interest are near each.

     Overall, I would have to say I was somewhat disappointed in how little I was able to accomplish in Leo.  Of the 9 galaxies officially logged, 8 of them are pretty faint, and a few are very faint.  They usually require some time to locate, see and reconfirm.   Early in the season I had hoped to complete about 5 pages from my extensive 32-page object list of the constellation this year.  I have yet to fully complete page 1!  With spring galaxy season nearly half over for Leo lovers, it will have to be very clear in May if I hope to reach my goal.

     With a little vacation approaching, I will be taking some time off from observing and blogging.  I will be back around the 1st of May, hopefully faced with 10-12 days in a row of clear skies.  May you have the same.
Mapman Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment