Thursday 15 August 2013

Monthly Update #5: July/August 2013

     At last!  Some clear summer nights with terrific conditions.  We even had a few such nights between last quarter and new moon, something that has been rare.  As a result, a large number of new objects were logged, and a few old classics.  During the observing month I managed to conclude my in-depth studies of Lyra.  I have now moved on to Cygnus and Cassiopeia.  While all three constellations have been examined in detail in past years with the 8", it is a whole new world up there with a 12".  Most of the fainter, previously invisible NGC objects are now available to me, expanding my viewing options significantly.  My earlier studies in Lyra saw me observe 4 NGC/IC objects.  This time around I went after 32 of them, plus one non-NGC open cluster!  Only two objects proved too faint or small.

     Searching for faint galaxies in Lyra (and now Cygnus) has the advantage of observing in overhead skies.  However, the disadvantage is the rich and bright star field surrounding many of them, making galaxy viewing quite challenging.  Of the 32 new NGC/IC objects observed this month, only 5 were non-galaxies.  Those consisted of a globular (M56), two open clusters and two planetaries (one being M57).  This entry will only deal with objects seen in the past month.  For the full Lyra details, see my two previous blog entries.

     For Cygnus and Cassiopeia, I have decided to not only search for NGC/IC objects not previously seen with the 8", but also to undertake a full but quick review of objects already logged with that instrument.  In some cases it's been 20-30 years since I have observed most of these objects, so it's likely time for a revisit.  While more time will be spent on the unfamiliar objects, I will try to spend some time with every cluster, nebula and other deep sky object in these constellations.  My to-do list is extensive, and it will take many sessions to complete.

     This past observing month I observed 25 new NGC/IC objects, as well as reviewed 8 others previously seen.  Most were faint galaxies, and most were in Lyra, but a few were also logged in Cygnus.  While none of the galaxies were outstanding, a few were well worth the hunt, and recommended objects.  The finest objects this past month were all ones I had seen years before.  I will list them in order of interest, beginning with the best and brightest objects newly seen and continuing on to the faintest of the faint fuzzies.  Then I will discuss previously seen objects.

NEW OBJECTS
eg 6764:  The brightest galaxy in Cygnus, and brighter than any of the ones in Lyra except for 6703 (see previous blog entry, below).  Worth seeking, likely making you one of the rare amateurs who know there is a pretty bright galaxy in Cygnus and have seen it!
eg 6702:  2nd brightest galaxy in Lyra, and a nearby companion to the brighter 6703.  Two for one.
pn 6765:  Lyra's "other" planetary.  10" or 12" recommended.  Unusual elongated shape.
eg 6688:  Involved with at least 3 very faint stars.
eg 6692:  Nothing special.
eg 6745:  Check out the Hubble Heritage photo of this object!  Easy with a 12"!
eg 6671:  An easy object, likely doable with an 8".
eg *I 4867:  Small, but bright and easy at moderate magnification.  Near two bright variable stars.
oc 6743:  Called non-existent in some sources, including my push-to computer.  It does exist, and exactly where Uranometria places it.  A bright star is surrounded by a faint cloud of very dim stars.  I counted 18 at 150x.
eg 6662; eg 6665; I 1289; eg 6710; eg 6743; eg 6740; eg 6700; eg6692; eg 6713; eg 6685; eg 6612; eg 6696; eg 6672; eg 6606; eg I 1289; eg 6783 (Cygnus); eg *I 1301 ( Cygnus).  All tricky.  Happy hunting!
*  A note about I 4867 (bright and easy for a 12") and I 1301 (very dim and extremely difficult, just south).  Some sources say they are the same object!  Not!!  Refer to Uranometria.
There you have it--25 new NGC and IC objects.  The only non-NGC object viewed this month was also new to me.  Ste 1 is a very large open cluster centered around Delta Lyra.  Bright and suitable for almost any aperture.  Lovely in the 4 1/4" Astroscan.  About two dozen stars with a 12".
PREVIOUSLY VIEWED OBJECTS
pn 6720--M 57:  Arguably the finest amateur object out there, except perhaps for M 42!  One of two objects I was unable to locate was a faint IC galaxy very close to M 57.
gc 6779--M 56:  Often overlooked in favour of more popular summer globulars, this one is not to be missed in a 12"!
oc 6791:  Resolving this open cluster is more difficult than many globulars.  A real beauty!
oc 6811:  A rich and lovely cluster, with a very fine field just preceeding.  Repays close viewing.  Plenty of brighter stars, and some very dim ones back there, too.  A 4" mirror just begins to resolve it!
oc 6819:  Smaller and not as rich as 6611, but not to be missed with a large mirror.  Unusual shape, and again in a very bright star field.  Use all magnifications, and then go back to lowest again.  Recommended!
eg 147:  A massive galaxy in Cassiopeia with a very low surface brightness, this one requires a great sky.  One of M 31's nearby cousins.
eg 185:  Very near 147, and also related to M 31.  Brighter, smaller and much easier to view than 147, but it is still huge!
eg 6703:  The brightest galaxy in Lyra and/or Cygnus, and a decent object for an 8" mirror.  6702 appears in the same field.

     It was a most enjoyable month.  I managed 7 observing nights out of the 14 available!!  Happy hunting!
Mapman Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment