Sunday 24 July 2016

#97-Summer 2016 Observing

I hope your summer observing program is going as well as my own.  I apologize for the delay in writing up a new post, but I have an excuse.  I have had such success this spring and early summer that I have been kept busy cataloguing my observations.  I keep copious notes, along with many sketches, of each NGC object that I observe.  I have now observed enough of them (1500?) that I think I can consider myself an "expert" at finding the faint ones, and at describing the brighter ones.  From early spring till now (the newest observing session officially begins tonight, but it is cloudy) I have had so many clear nights that only yesterday did I get all my official notes and cataloguing caught up.

Currently I am deep into observations of Hercules and Vulpecula.  Each constellation has a very different focus.  For Hercules, I am mainly concentrating on NGC objects, along with a few IC and UGC galaxies.  For Vulpecula, I have added dozens and dozens of double stars (see my previous blog entry) along with the usual star clusters and nebula.  For the first part of the night I lose myself in observing galaxies, and then later move on to the much easier task of viewing clusters and doubles.  My double star list for Vulpecula is so inclusive that it takes me to every corner of the constellation.  Since I visit the double stars by star hopping from an NGC object, I am really getting to know my way around this small but inviting constellation.  I am discovering doubles not listed, as well as any number of asterisms, coloured stars, and beautiful star fields.

This got me thinking about doing a similar "reboot" of Hercules.  So, I recently made up a new list, in addition to the 227 objects I was already searching for (mostly NGC).  I have since added another 455 objects to my Hercules project!  That includes 89 galaxies mostly from the UGC list, along with 366 double, triple, and multiple stars!  In addition, I will make notes of unknown and otherwise unrecorded interesting things seen along the way.  I have also done this for other constellations where I have completed my initial NGC glance, including Delphinus, Sagitta, and Cassiopeia.  Let me tell you, there are a lot of double stars in Cassiopeia!

Why am I doing this??  Why not just look at the best and brightest?  Part of that answer lies in my extensive classical music background.  I am mostly a pianist, and I have played, and continue to play, my share of major masterpieces.  However, for every major masterpiece written for piano, there are hundreds of very beautiful minor ones.  These can be just as fun, seductive, and necessary to my life as the larger works.  Give a listen sometime to the Brahms Op 117 pieces, for example.  

For me, astronomy is very similar.  Let's take a "typical" double star, say mag. 7.9-9.6/14".  This could turn out to be a run-of-the-mill double, in a barren part of the sky.  OR, it could turn into a lovely orange and blue pair, with another deep orange star nearby, and an asterism that looks like a mini Cassiopeia not far off!  One never knows until one goes there.  I want to go there.  Usually, so far anyway, about every third double star turns out to be a real gem, often leading me to another wonder that perhaps no one has really stopped to admire or document.

Anyway, I am having a great time so far this year.  2016, at least the first half, has turned into a banner year for my observing program.  If this luck continues, I will not be blogging very much.  Should clouds dominate the moonless nights, you will likely hear more from me here.  So stay tuned.
Mapman Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment